Woodturning tools, also known as wood lathe chisels, play a key role in turning, smoothing, and shaping wood in ways that are unmatched by handheld devices like sandpaper. In essence, having the right wood lathe will offer you various options when carving your wood into a perfect balance. As you read on, you will find our top best woodturning tools.
A List of Top 10 Best Woodturning Tools for Beginners in 2020
HSS Woodworking Chisel
The HSS woodworking chisel is one of the most prominent and complete sets of turning tools to consider. These tool blades are made from M2 high-speed steel that is capable of outlasting standard carbon steel blades. Each set features eight turning tools, with each being about 5.25 inches long.
- Each tool comes with a ferrule that enhances performance while turning wood
- Not only simple to use but also designed to last much longer
- Features a closable wooden case that keeps the tools protected
- With its length, it can easily break.
PSI Woodworking LCHSS
The PSI woodworking chisel is one other preferable lathe, which is ideal for turning pens, spindles, bowls, and even relatively large projects. It features 5-1/4 inch M2 HSS blades that last for quite long. This kit has eight turning tools, each with a different size and purpose. It is characterized by a 10-3/4 inch hardwood handle.
- It can be used by turners of different skill levels
- Their longevity is reliable
- They need sharpening after every use
PSI Woodworking LXPMSET Ultra Carbide System
Considering the PSI LXPMSET will offer you enhanced value for your money. This system features a handle that works with three distinct cutter profiles; 2-inch radius, diamond detail, and 0.375″ round. This system comprises three cutter profiles, a magnetic chip deflector, Allen wrench, three cutter profiles, and a nylon pouch.
- It has sharp carbide cutters with numbered edges making them ideal for rotation
- Its flat bottom handle blade guarantees a straighter cut.
- It takes quite long to replace the cutter in its handle.
Savannah Carbide Turning Tool (Large Size)
The popularity of this carbide turning tool is attributed to the ease in woodturning it accentuates. Its use of use makes it ideal for people of all skill levels. The set features a large round, diamond cutter, and square cutter tools which measure 6-9/16″, 6-5/8″ and 6-9/16, respectively.
- Its blades are much sharper than steel blades
- They have a rubber grip that helps in avoiding fatigue while turning
- It has a flat back that enhances stability when turning
- It is costlier than the aforementioned
Easy Wood Tools Combo
The quality of this USA-manufactured woodworking tool has been one of its major selling points. It can only accept specific proprietary replacement carbide cutters. It is characterized by a 9-inch and 3.5 by 0.375” square stainless-steel bar. Its length is 12.5 inches.
- It has many sharp sides that need no extra sharpening in the long run
- The cutters remain sharp for a longer period of time.
It is quite easy to use
Hurricane Turning Tools
These hurricane turning tools are standard and made from HSS and designed for woodturners who have intermediate skills. Its edge holding ability is quite reliable and can last for so long. Their 16-inch long handles made from solid ash will be worth looking at. This set features 16 different tools.
- The M2 HSS blades allow you to finish their task without necessarily having to re-sharpen
- The set of chisels are reliable, serviceable and sharp
- Sharpening and grounding these tools can be quite hard at times
PSI Woodworking LCMINI2 Mini
The PSI LCMINI2 is a 5-piece set of lathe tools that have come out as an ideal alternative for smaller but detailed turning projects. It features HSS blades, and even hardwood handles with brass ferrules. They come with a 2-year warranty aside from not requiring a battery. These tools come in attractive wooden display boxes.
- The HSS technology used in making their edges keeps them sharp for relatively long
- They can be used for a variety of tasks and by experts with different levels of skills.
Simple Woodturning Tools- Simple Turner and Hollower
This simple to use carbide woodturning tool has also gained much predominance in the recent past. It is ideal for use once you have roughed a block into being a cylinder. The simplicity with which this tool can hollow the wood into the desired shape makes it suitable for use by both intermediate-skilled persons and experts. It features a square shaft and a flat back, which makes it stand out.
- It will not be necessary to keep sharpening the tools as turning it will be enough. This ensures that you do not face any inconvenience while working. It has multiple edges that are all sharp.
- Tools are accurately and distinctively engraved, making it easier to pick a suitable item for your task.
PSI Woodworking LCPM3 Penturning Chisel
The PSI LCPM3 is a professional set of woodturning items that feature high-speed steel blades. While its chisels are 11 inches, its handles are about 8 inches long. This set has a 0.375” rough cutting gouge, a 0.125″ parting tool, and a 0.5″ oval skew.
- The HSS blades can last for quite long before they need to sharpen
- They can hold a relatively decent edge
- The factory edge could be quite disappointing to some people
3-Piece Carbide Turning Tool Set
The fact that this set produces much cleaner and straight cuts makes it quite suitable for people of different skills. It guarantees much more natural woodturning, aside from the elimination of the inconvenience of sharpening the tool more often.
- It has sharp carbide edges that can outlast steel edges
- There is no need to worry about sharpening the tools continually
- They seem relatively bulky for some people
Getting any of the tools mentioned above will not only offer you value for money but also great results in your tasks. Not surprisingly, some of the best woodturning tools are a must-have for most woodurners. And high quality turning tools shouldn’t be very expensive.