Electric Vehicle Supply solution or EVSE, known to many people as EV charger, is a machine that supplies electric energy for rechargeable electric vehicles. Different EV Charger manufacturing companies are working tirelessly to match the surge in annual electric vehicle production. The number of EVs is estimated to reach 18.7 million in 2030 on U.S roads from 1 million in 2018.
With so many EV charges available to choose from, below, we review the top 5 level 2 EV chargers you might want to consider for your electric vehicle.
These are some key features to look for in EV chargers.
- These include electrical current, power, and voltage.
- NEMA outlet Connection-Adapters
- There can be different 240V or 220v even among level 2 chargers. Look out for what’s available in your garage.
- Enclosure Rating – Indoor or Outdoor
- Choose where to install your charger as not all are suitable for outdoor environments with rain and snow.
- Check out for hardwired and plug-in installations as they come with different installation requirements.
- Connectivity and Ease to Use
- Moreover, you have to keep in mind your wireless connections and also cable connections with their different requirements.
A List of Top 5 Best Portable Level 2 EV Chargers
JuiceBox Pro 40
Built in the U.S and measuring 10 inches by 6 inches by 3.5 inches with a-25 feet cable length; it is one of the smallest EV chargers currently available. It has 10kW power output, input voltage of 240V, 40-amp electrical current output, and a NEMA 14-50-volt outlet.
With JuiceNet- a full web-based app compatible with Amazon Echo and Alexa, you can charge your vehicle via voice control or your smartphone. This EV charger can also be installed indoors or outdoors.
JuiceBox has a smart function that allows for scheduling of charging times according to electricity rates to achieve higher energy savings. The station is also made easily portable due to its aluminum quick-release bracket.
- Advanced Wi-Fi control
- Web and smartphone access for smart charging
- Fast charging
- Fire/waterproof metal case
- Durable and Portable
- 3-year warranty
- Reported Wi-Fi unreliability
- Challenging installation for some people
With a measurement of 14.5-inches wide by 16-inches tall by 6.5-inches deep, the charger comes in three models:
1. Hardwire: Most affordable but must be wired directly into the electrical panel for indoor use.
2. Universal: This is the best and offers a plug-and-play solution that works both indoors and outdoors.
3. Smart Grid: Like the universal with plug-and-play solution, Smart Grid uses WiFi and can be remotely controlled via iOS or Android app.
All the above three have a 30-amp output and a 240V connection that provides up to 7.2Kw. It charges EVs up to four (4) times faster than level 1chargers. Installation is easy and comes with a complete mounting bracket set, a- 20-feet cable for Universal and Smart Grid, and 14-feet for Hardwire, along with a NEMA 6-50 plug connected to a typical 240V outlet. It can be installed via hardwired or plug-in connections.
Siemens VersiCharge has a built-in flexible charging function that allows you to pause and activate the charger with a 2/4/6/8-hour delay; this may not work for all vehicles.
Moreover, with a temperature operating range of between 30 C-50 C, it is suitable for indoors and outdoor use. The charger also uses a universal SAEJ1772 connector, which allows it to charge all EVs.
The required circuit breaker for installation is a 2-pole, 40A breaker. After 1 hour of charging, your EV goes between 40-60 miles of range per hour.
- Multiple versions available
- Flexible control
- 3-year warranty
- Delayed charging not compatible with all vehicles
- The unit doesn’t flush totally with the wall
ChargePoint Home Flex
This Wi-Fi-enabled charger is available in either hardwired or plug-in versions. You can choose a NEMA 14-50 plug or a NEMA 6-50 as both options feature a 23-foot long cable. The ChargePoint Home charger can be controlled remotely on an Alexa device or your smartphone, just like JuiceBox.
The ChargePoint app allows you to schedule charging when electricity is cheapest and set reminders on when to plug in your vehicle.
This charger can charge up to 50 amps; this adds up to 37 miles of range per hour for most electrified vehicles. Depending on your homes’ electrical supply, you can set the plug-in station to charge at (16-50) amps. ChargePoint Home Flex is a UL-listed charger designed for electrical safety.
- 3-year warranty
- Energy-star certified
- Built-in Wi-Fi compatible with Alexa
- Hardwired and plug-in versions
- Up to 50A charging for 37 miles of range per hour
- App unreliability
This charger comes with a 25-foot long cable and features like leakage, overheat, overcurrent, and overvoltage protection. It is IP55 waterproof, lightning proof, and flame resistant, making it so reliable for safety and durability.
Zencar Portable charger is also available in a wide variety of plugs, including a Level 1 version, if you need a standard power outlet. The l14-30, NEMA 6-20,10-30, and 14-30 plug versions are16-amp Level 2 chargers. The NEMA 14-50 current can be adjusted from 16 amp to 24 amp to 32 amp.
- 24-month warranty
- Adjustable current on NEMA 14-50 version
- Variety of connectors
- Highly portable
- NEMA 14-50 is expensive
5. Mustart Level 2 EV Charging Station
Mustart Level 2 charging station is a portable charger with an electric current of 32A, input voltage of 220/240V multiple plug-in versions, and power output of 7.68kW. It has an LCD screen with LED lights that display charging status, operating temperature, output power, and charging current. It also comes with a 25-foot charging cable.
Additionally, it has a SAEJ1772 standard connector, enabling it to power all kinds of electric vehicles. This charger is also compatible with most 240V outlets like NEMA 10-30, NEMA 14-30, NEMA 6-50, and NEMA14-50. No matter what your 240V/240V connection, this charger will sort you out.
Mustart Level 2 charger also comes with a carrying case. It is, however, commended for indoor use only. It must be connected to a GFCI supply protector.
- 2-year warranty
- Plenty of option to choose
- Not recommended for use in rain or snow
- Plug a bit tight on some vehicles-hard to remove